Part of the reason why the Amex Platinum card is popular is because of its incredible travel benefits, aimed at elevating the overall experience of what it means to fly, stay at hotels, relax at a lounge, and a lot more!
Amongst the variety of benefits, a very enticing one is that of a one-time $200 annual hotel credit (up to) — that resets every calendar year, and works on a use it or lose it basis. That is, if you don’t end up utilizing it, it goes to waste (does not carry forward to the next year); however, you’ll have another opportunity every new calendar year.
How To Correctly Secure the Amex Annual Hotel Credit ($200 As of Writing This Post)
In order to qualify for the $200 yearly hotel credit, technically, up to $200, there are three prerequisites you have to meet. They are:
- You are booking your hotel stay on the American Express Travel site.
- Additionally, making sure that your hotel belongs to either the Fine Hotels + Resorts or The Hotel Collection program. It’s pretty effortless to filter your results to just these two by selecting both the checkboxes in your hotel search. On the regular desktop site, this is available on the left panel where all the other filters are — as shown in the image screenshot below.
- And lastly, you’re prepaying for your entire stay at the time of booking using your eligible Amex Platinum card — not when you checkout.
The best part though, is that there is no enrollment required. All you have to do is go to the site and book.
There Is One More Condition You Should Be Aware Of
Specifically, when it comes to The Hotel Collection, to be able to redeem the $200 calendar year credit, you need to make certain that you’re at least booking a stay of 2 consecutive nights or more. Again, this burden doesn’t fall with FHR but does for this program.
You May Also Want to Check Out:
- How To Use the $189 CLEAR® Credit From Amex Platinum
- What Is Clear® at the Airports and How Does It Work?
- What Is the “Global Entry” Trusted Traveler Program?
- How To Sign Up for Priority Pass With Amex Platinum
- What Is TRIP CANCEL GUARD™ From American Express (Amex) Travel?
- What Is the $100 Experience Credit for Amex Platinum Cardholders?
- How To Properly Earn the Amex Platinum Saks Fifth Avenue Credit
- Guide to Achieving Marriott Bonvoy™ Gold Elite Status With Amex Platinum
- What Are Amex Offers & Benefits?
- What Is Amex No Preset Spending Limit?
Why Should I Book a Hotel From the Amex Fine Hotels + Resorts or the Hotel Collection Program?
Aside from the $200 annual credit, each program brings various benefits. To give you a taste, below are some of the highlights — ultimately depending on which program you end up choosing — and subject to availability:
- Late checkout.
- $100 extra credit to be used at the hotel for its own services such as dining, spa, etc.
- Daily breakfast for two.
- Room upgrades
- 5x points for booking your stay. (This applies in general on the Amex Travel site).
- And more.
Above all, there is a reason you got your hands on the Platinum Card. If you’re not enjoying and recouping your worth equivalent of its annual $695 fee, it kind of doesn’t make sense. Not saying this is the only way; nonetheless, both the FHR and The Hotel Collection boast upscale, unique, and luxurious hotel properties that deserve a chance.
Plus, there are decent choices because between them, there are more than 1,800 carefully curated hotels worldwide that fall into these two categories.